What's Your Song?

What's your Crohn's song?


Is it triumphant, like Katy Perry's "Roar" or our young Crohnie warrior featured in her inspiring video below?





Twenty-some odd years ago, I was lying in a hospital bed, as a terrified 13-year-old getting back-to-back blood transfusions.  My hemoglobin level was 4.  The doctors said I should've died.  I had gone blind at school that day due to lack of blood flow and oxygen,which is what led to being rushed to the hospital.  Thankfully, my sight returned, my Crohn's was swiftly diagnosed, and my treatment plan was established.


A year later I was back in the hospital for stomach ulcers, which we thought would be for three or four days.  The nurses accidentally gave me the wrong medication, which resulted in my becoming so ill I was in the hospital for over a month. By the time I left, my leg muscles had atrophied so much I could hardly walk.


Those days of my life come hurtling back anytime I hear Bruce Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia," which had just come out at the time. If you haven't heard it, take a listen.


Fast forward



Fast forward to a few years ago, lounging on a Chicago landscape during the Taste of Chicago, listening to a great line-up including Rob Thomas.  As he belted out the lyrics to "Her Diamonds" my friend turned to me and asked if I knew the song is about his wife battling a rare autoimmune disease similar to lupus.

I did not.  But boy did I love Rob Thomas even more after I read the story behind the song.


What's your song?

Comments

Popular Posts